Beyond the Forest - Transylvania - Bulgaria - Austria - Cumbria Uncovered Transylvania Uncovered - Romania Travel Service - Holidays Beyond the Specialist Bulgaria Uncovered - Bulgaria Travel Service - Holidays Beyond the Forest Austria Uncovered - Austria Travel Service - Holidays Beyond the Forest Lakeland Beyond Connecting you Beyond the Forest

LAST UPDATED
28/12/2013



www.beyondtheforest.com provides everything you need to plan your holiday - unbiased travel information based on extensive, personal travel and an unparallelled network of local specialists.




To book your perfect holiday
contact:



01900 838570
www.travelcounsellors.co.uk

A quaity, personal service by
travel experts in your local area

Trams & Tramways in Romania
Romania has a wealth of interesting tramways.
many operating second-hand carsfrom other European systems

New links added



To book your perfect holiday
we recommend:



0845 058 7326
www.travelcounsellors.co.uk

A quaity, personal service by
travel experts in your local area


Holidays in Romania with Beyond the Forest - Transylvania Uncovered
Railways in Romania - resources for rail enthusiasts
Railway Museums in Romania
Forest Railways in Romania - Viseu, Covasna, Moldovita
Narrow Gauge Railways in Romania
Industrial Railways in Romania
Railways in Romania Today
Timisoara and the Banat
Beyond the Forest - Romania travel specialists
Flights to Romania with Beyond the Forest
Travelling by train to Romania
Car Hire in Romania
Travel advice for visitors to Romania
Books, Maps & Exhibitions about Romania
Connecting you to Beyond the Forest


---

'Sageata Verde' (Green Arrow) - a 1912 Ganz tramcar of the former Podgoria
inter-urban elecytic railway (Arad - Ghioroc - Pancota) in the yard at Ghioroc;
AM MOT 1-15 (Later CFR 79.0001-15)



This page contains information about the trams and tramway systems of Romania including the Podgoria Electric Railway, Sibiu-Rasinari interurban tramway, former industrial workings at Timisoara and Oradea, and the museums promoted by Tram-Club-Banat at Timisoara and Ghioroc. You will also find useful links to other sites and some excellent photo galleries.

Tramway tours including tours of systems with special or historic vehicles for groups of enthusiasts can be organised through our recommended agents. They can also organise tram tours of Timisoara for individuals, and visits to the Ghirioc depot of the Podgoria Electric Railway, while trips on the 'Shepherds' tram from Sibiu to Rasinari are often included in the Another Europe holiday programmes..


TIMISOARA: Ex Miünchen 2003, Rathgeber (1966)
crossing the Decebal bridge from the Fabric district into the city





Tramways in Romania


TRAMWAYS



Timisoara & Museum
Arad & Pâncota
Sibiu - Rasinari
Oradea, Cluj, Botosani, Iasi
Resita, Craiova, Ploiesti, Braila
Bucharest, Galati


PRESERVED STEAM &
RAILWAY MUSEUMS


Sibiu Museum
Resita Museum
Subcetate
Locomotive Lists


FORESTRY RAILWAYS



Viseu de Sus
Moldovita
Covasna-Comandau


CFR
NARROW GAUGE


Târgu Mures System
Turda-Abrud
Sibiu-Agnita


INDUSTRIAL LINES



Hunedoara
Brad - Criscior
Sotanga & Fieni (near Targoviste)
Govora (Near Ramnicu Valcea)
Lonea (Petrosani area)
Mining Railways of the Rodna Mountains
Turda Cement


RAILWAYS TODAY



Scenic Railways
Branch Lines
Diesels & Electrics



Timisoara: locally built Timis T2 car
338 of 1986 with trailer at Balta Verde

The prototype of the rather 'austerity' steel-bodiedTimis 2 bogie cars emerged from the Timisoara workshops in the 1970s. The Timis T2 became the standard tram for many Romanian systems during the 1970s and 1980s with single cars, bogie cars and even articulated units being built to both standard and metre gauge. Many were withdrawn with the arrival of second-hand German cars but some survived well into the new Millennium.





There once was a man who said "Damn!
I perceive with regret that I am
But a creature that moves
In predestinate grooves
I'm not even a bus, I'm a tram."

------------------------------[Maurice E. Hare, 1905]









Timisoara (RATT)

Romania's pioneering tramway system: Timisoara was the first tramway in what is now Romania with horse trams inaugurating a service between Cetate (city centre) and Fabric in 1869. The line was extended to Gara de Nord, and the system subsequently developed to connect the rapidly expanding residential districts and factories of Iosefin, Elisabetin and Fabric, with electrific trams being introduced in 1899. Tramway constructions and workings have been a feature of Timisoara ever since. The network expanded in line with the growth of the city's industrial facilities and residential districts. It extended north and east via Piata Traian into Fabric and to Timisoara-Est station (1909-1915), north from Cetate into the Mehala district (1923) , then west from there to Ronat (1948). During the first world war the tracks from Timisoara Est station south into Fabric, through Piata Traian to the factories around Calea Buziasulu,i were strengthened to take freight traffic. The Timisoara Brewery was connected in 1916, the Textile factory and 'Banatul' boot factories in 1917, and the municipal abattoir in 1918. In the south, lines reached Fratelia (1926), then far to the southwest Freidorf and Timisoara-West station (1953), being extended to the sugar factory and new abattoir complex in 1988. Meanwhile, additional east-west cross city links were built between Fabric and Iosefin (Piata Maria) via Elisabetin (Piata Balcescu) and further south from Fabric to the Electrotimis works and industrial zone in the south east at Calea Buziasului (1974), then west through Fratelia and districts of Apartment blocks to Iosefin. Ciarda Rosie wasn't joined up until 1987. Timisoara is Romania's second city so it is not surprising that the tramway is also the second largest, nowadays withj some 45km and over 120 vehicles. It is also the best maintained system in the country with considerable investment being placed in modernisation and track replacement.



TIMISOARA: A selection of trams from German systems: Former Karlsruhe 109 (prev. Albtalbahn 9), Düwag (1959) articulated set still in Karksruhe livery / Former Bremen 3508, Wegmann Stadtbahn car (1973) at Piata Victoriei / Former Miünchen 2504,at Nalta Verde in the current lilac, white and black RATT livery




Routes were curtailed, diverted or replaced with buses from 2004-2010 due to a major investment and modernisation programme. All tracks and trackbed are being replaced section by section. During winter 2004-2005 eastward tram routes were being curtailed at Piata Traian where a temporary turning circle was in place. Westward routes 4, 5 and 11 to Ronat and Mehala are terminating at Piata 700. The system has now been completed .



Timisoara's workshops (TCT) built many of their own trams from 1920. All early vehicles were 2-axle trams and trailers. The first bogie cars (type Gb2/2) were built in 1950, though these were supplemented by Electroputere V-54 bogie cars from 1955. Older 2-axle cars were modernised from 1958, being transformed into new higher capacity "Pioner" T4 and T5 trams by the Timisoara workshops(now ITT). A batch of ITB type VO58 (T6V) 2-axle cars was delivered in 1961, one of which has been preserved. Further examples were delivered from 1963-1966. In 1962 the workshops turned out the first of the new T1-62 2-axle trams, again built on the frames of older cars. In 1970 the prototype of the Timis 2 bogie cars emerged from the workshops (now ITCVTT) and entered service. This lead to the large scale production of Timis 2 cars in conjunction with Electrometal Timisoara (Electrotimis) for Timisoara and many other Romanian tramways, both metre and standard gauge. Production vehicles included single bogie cars, bogie cars coupled to trailers and 6 axle articulated units. Most of RATB's extensive fleet of Timis 2 cars have now been withdrawn, though a few remain in the compound of the Timisoara Tramway Museum at RATT's Take Ionescu depot together with an interesting selection of historic vehicles (see below). The present RATT fleet is one of the most interesting and presently comprises a selection of secondhand Hansa articulated units and Wegmann Stadtbahn trams from Bremen, Rathgeber articulated units from Munich, and Düwag or Rastatt GT6 or GT8 articulated cars from Karlsruhe (orig.Albtalbahn). The former German cars were fully refurbished prior to entering service and the majority were painted into Timisoara's traditional livery of cadmium yellow, with pale yellow and white relief, or in advertising liveries. From 2007 trams began appearing in a revised livery of lilac and white,





Tram-Club Banat & Tram Museum Timisoara

Tram Club Banat was established in 2000 to promote the preservation of the tramways in the Banat. They have been involved in promoting the museum services and preservation of the former Arad-Podgoria Electric Railways. the establishing of the tramway museum together with RATT at the Bulevard Take Ionescu depot, and organsising historic tram services and private tram tours on the Timisoara system.


The collection currently iincludes:
  • Horsetram (Waggonfabrik Spearing, Vienna 1869);
  • Lowry freight truck (Simmering 1972),
  • TCT type FII "Gemene" car & trailer (1927);
  • Snowplough car (T.C.Timisoara, 1925);
  • Timis Type T1 2-axle car (I.T.Timisoara, 1962);
  • I.T.Bucuresti Type VO58-T6V 2-axle car (1961);
  • Track grinder, converted in 1965 from TCT locomotive L1 (Weitzer 1916)
  • Timis T2 trams built in 1970s and 1980s by Electrometal Timisoara.

There are also two ex.Vienna platform wagons with snow ploughs for departmental use (6010 - Rohrbacher 1906; 6411 - Graf u.Stift 1900). Please note that these vehicles may sometimes be at other locations, especially while track rebuilding is in progress. It is hoped that locomotives L2 and L3 will become the property of the museum.



Left: Preserved TCT type FII "Gemene" car & trailer of 1927 at the Timisoara Tramway Museum
[TCT = Tramvaielor Comunale Timisoara]








The Timisoara tramway museum may be visited on request. Please email or call to make an appointment. Details are as follows:

Muzeul Tramvaielor Timisoara
Bulevardul Take Ionescu 56, Timisoara
Tel.+44 (0) 256 435 241; Fax,+44(0) 256 433354;
Email: iulia@ratt.dnttm.ro; website under construction



Right: Timis T2 cars in the tram museum / Preserved Timis Type T1 (1962) and ITB (Bucuresti) Type VO58-T6V (1961) trams





Useful LinksTimisoara

Click on the links below for a selection of galleries, forums, system maps and other resources.


RATT - Timisoara Transport (includes a system map
Tramclub.org - galleries, fleet information, network maps, etc
Railfaneurope - contemporary galleries of trams and trains; extensive section of Timisoara tram pictures
Timisoara System Map - Network Route maps for Timisoara and other systems


Hans Oerlemans - a fabulous gallery on tramclub.org of atmospheric photographs taken inTimisoara during 1967, 1973 and 1980 by Hans Oehlemans (see above for a taste).
Note the absence of traffic and rural nature of some of the suburban workings. Many historic trams are featured from the elegant pre-war Gelence acrs to the ITB and Timis vehicles of the Communist era.
Timisoara galleries - more galleries of old photos of Timisoara transport
Click for further information about visiting
Timisoara



Electric Locomotives of Timisoara

Timisoara commenced a freight service in 1916 serving 10 factories connected by 4.2km of industrial sidings to the tram system and Timisoara-Est station. Sidings still exist at the Timisoreana Brewery.


The first locomotive (L1) was a 2-axle steeple cab built at the Weitzer works in Arad in 1916. A second (L2) was built in 1928 by T.C.Timisoara with electric parts by Siemens-Schuckert, Budapest. A final. larger 4-axle locomotive (L3) with 4x36 kw motors was constructed in 1954, also in the company's workshops.

L1 was later rebuilt and transferred to RATT in 1970 as a rail grinder - it is presently retained at the Tramway Museum. L2 and L3 were transferred to the Timisoreana Brewery where L3 was still in use on occasions as renetly as 2005. It was hoped that both wou;d be preserved but it is not known what has happened to either locomotive.





Timisoara locomotive L2 (TCT 1928)
withdrawn at Timisoreana Brewery (9/ 2003)




Track grinder, converted from TCT* locomotive L1
Weitzer 1916) in 1965



----------------

Timisoara tramways locomotive L3 (TCT 1954)
n the Timisoreana brewery (9/ 2003)






Arad & the Podgoria Electric Railway

This historic (1896), efficient metre gauge system is one of the largest in Romania with over 250 tramcars and a total system length of 46km. Like many Romanian systems it was badly run down during the 1980s - a 1985 report suggested that services were irregular, 50% of the tram carried a 'Defective' notice and that seating was removed in some of the Timis trailers to increase capacity. It still operates a handful of Timis T2 and Tatra T4R trams, but these have been supplemented in recent years by a large influx of second hand trams from a wide variety of German systems including Stuttgart, Ulm, Essen, Bochum, OEG, Ludwigshafen, Mühlheim/Ruhr, Würzburg, and the Rhein-Haardbahn. The majority are Düwag articulated cars, whilst those from Stuttgart (and Ulm) are Esslingen GT4s. Many of the Tatra T4s came from Zwickau. There is no particular livery.

Of particular significance is the Podgoria Electric Railway, the first in Romania, which connected the city with the wine villags along the fringe of the Zarand hills to the east. This was finally connected to the main network in the 1980s when the lines to Pâncota and Radna were cut back to Ghioroc, the vintage Ganz electric trains of 1912 were retired, and the line came under the control of the Arad municipal transport undertaking rather than CFR. However, the Ganz cars and other stock were not scrapped and so far three have three of them have been fully restored for use on special heritage services.




ARAD: Arad 572, a Tatra T4 / Former Essen 1856, a Düwag articulated tram / Former Stuttgart 572, an Esslingen (1960) articulated tram - all at Piata Arenei /





Podgoria Electric Railway (IJTL Podgoria - Arad)
Arad - Pancota, Radna & Ghioroc

The metre gauge Podgoria electric railway was opened in 1906, and electrified in 1913, to connect Arad with the hills and wine-growing villages to the east. There were 3 sections: Arad - Ghioroc (22km), Ghioroc - Pancota (22km) and Ghioroc - Radna (14km). The original Ganz Danubius (1912) motor bogie cars (A AM MOT 1-15, latterly CFR 79.0001-0015) carriages and freight wagons survived in service until closure in 1991. Some of the carriages were conversions from the original petrol-powered vehicles in 1912. Arad tramways took control of the Arad - Ghioroc section from 1982 replacing the motors with trams. The remaining branches closed and the trains were replaced with bus services in 1991. The track is still in situ throughout. There is still a frequent interurban tram service from Arad to Ghioroc, the journey taking an hour. Standard Timis T2, second hand Düwag trams and trueTimisT2 interurban trams with CFR seats, luggage racks and curtains are used - with taped folk music on some vehicles!


Ganz (1912) cars of the series A AM MOT 1-15
(Later CFR 79.0001-15) in the yard at Ghioroc












Most of the original stock remains in the former depot yard at Ghioroc, while three of the original motor cars and carriages have been restored to a very high standard (one in original green service livery, one in historic blue "Blue arrow" livery and a third modernised and painted grey and white) and are kept in the shed for special heritage services and tours. A couple of ex.Halberstadt Gotha T57 trams are also used from time to time. There are tentative plans to reopen the original branches, possible as a museum railway.

Two interurban services run out from Arad to Ghioroc, where they turn on the triangle in the market place:

11 Ghioroc - Podgoria (Arad) - Fat Frumos (Arad)
12 Ghioroc - Podgoria (Arad) - Piata Romana (Arad)

i.e. (subject to change; times posted at ticket offices):
11 MTWTF Ghioroc dep. 0415, 0515, 0705, 0905, 1325, 1507, 1804, 2116, 2235; SS/ Hols 0515, 0705, 0905, 1325, 2115
11 MTWTF Podgoria dep. 0756, 1216, 1436, 1536, 1646, 2047, 2135, 2241; SS/ Hols 0756, 1216, 1536, 2001, 2341
12 MTWTF Ghioroc dep. 0517, 0632, 0806, 1127. 1552, 1655, 1917; SS/ Hols 0632, 1125, 1654, 1917
12 MTWTF Podgoria dep. 0556, 1016, 1400, 1540, 1756; SS/ Hols 0556, 1016, 1756

PODGORIA: Arad 1, a Timis T2 interurban car with full rail carriage fittings
including curtains and luggage racks, at Podgoria station, Arad


UPDATE 2014: the line was out of use in 2013 due to bridgework on the viaduct that takes the road and tramway over the main railway line into Ghioroc and the depot . The yard could still be visited during this period but it is not yet clear whether operations of either the public service or tourist services have resumed.



Useful Links Arad & Podgoria

Click on the links below for a selection of galleries, forums, system maps and other resources.


Tramclub.org - galleries, fleet information, network maps, etc
Network Map - Network plan for the full Arad network
Railfaneurope - contemporary galleries of trams and trains; extensive section of Arad tram pictures
Podgoria & Arad - Gellery of photos from a visit to Arad including museum cars
Sageata Verde - some fantastic historic photos of the 'Green Arrow' trams by Hans Oerlemans (sse right)
Ghioroc Galleries - 1 Contemporary and historic photos from Tramcub.org
Ghioroc Galleries - 2 More contemporary and historic photos from Tramcub.org
Istvan Nagy - detailed site about Oradea tramways and old electric locomotives (see below)







Oradea (RATL)


The 20km system of Oradea is one of the earliest (electrified in 1906) and used to incorporate a fascinating freight workings using electric locomotives to connect various industrial sites to the railway. The system is extensive with cross-city lines connecting residential and industrial complexes with the station and the city centre. The Timis cars have been phased out and replaced with a variety of Tatra T4 and KT4D trams, from the east German cities of Berlin and Magdeburg.

Click for excellent historic tram images from Oradea
Hans Oerlemans
Click for further galleries and information about visiting Oradea


Cluj (RATUC)

This fairly modest system (12km of track) was opened as recently as1987 to connect modern residential developments, incuding the Manastur and Marasti quarters, with the city centre and railway station. The original Timis trams have been rebuilt or withdrawn, and supplemented by ex. Berlin Tatra KT4s and Magdeburg Tatra T4s.

Click for further information about visiting
Cluj


ORADEA: Electroputere bogie car and trailer in front of the Vukturul Negru, Piata Victoriei in 1989




ORADEA: Electroputere bogie car and trailer in Piata Victoriei in 1989 / New Timis T2 car 37 in the western industrial zone in 1989 /
CLUJ: Timis T2 car 35 beside the Park Centra in 1988.




Electric Locomotives in Oradea

Oradea (Nagyvárad), like Timisoara, had extensive freight workings over its system handled by Krauss 0-4-0 steam locomotives from 1882, and then also by electric locomotives from 1906 to 1994. These connected several factories and industrial sidings via the tramway system to the railway at Velenta (Velence) freight station (Oradea-Est) and later the Iosia (Ossi) freight station (Oradea-West). A pair of 2-axle steeple cab electric locomotives (Nr.1 & 2) were delivered from Weitzer (Arad) in 1906. They were renumbered 4 and 5 in the late 1970s and remained in service until 1994 when operations ceased. They are presently stored in the open beside the bus depot, the only Weitzer locomotives still in existence in near original condition (with Timisoara L1 which was heavily rebuilt in the 1960s). Another 2-axle steeple-cab (Nr.3) was purchased in 1925 (built by Katharinwnhütte, Rohrbach/Pfalz, Nr.33 of 1905). This locomotive also survived to the end and still stands at the bus depot, somewhat worse for wear. A 4-axle locomotive (Nr.4) was constructed from the frames and running gear of a first world war heavy artillery gun, while another (Nr.5) arrived in 1942 (Ganz 7301) but was transferred to Debrecen a year later. A rather box-shaped locomotive (Nr.5) entered service during the 1950s. From 1977 the system was shortened with only the section between the tram depot (beside the citadel) and Oradea-Est remaining. At about this time the locomotives 4 & 5 were withdrawn. The freight service continued until 1994 when the remaining locomotives were 'preserved'.


Above: IJTL Bihor electric locomotives 3, 5 and 4 at the tram depot, Oradeal;
Other images: IJTL steeple-cab locomotives on freight duries in Oradea - courtesy of Istvan Nagy

For further information please refer to the excellent website of Istvan Nagy of Oradea (Nagyvarad): www.istvan.home.ro.
The site contains historical and recent photos, maps and historical notes.





Sibiu

The Sibiu system is a metre gauge, single line 11km Interurban tramway running from Bulevardul Victoriei (near to the depot) in Sibiu, through the Dumbrava Forest to the small town of Rasinari. For much of its journey the tram runs along the roadside. The stock comprises four former Geneva (Transports Public Genevois) bogie cars (SWP 1950-52), and trailers which replaced elderly 2-axle trams. Trailers were withdrawn in 2003. Vehicles have all retained the orange and white TPG livery. Sibiu formerly possessed a city network with trams operating through the heart of the old town and connecting out to Rasinai. Check out the excellent Hans Oerlemans pictures from the 1960s and 1970s which include interurban workings in the Dumbrava forest and out into the countryside- link below.
UPDATE: services were suspended in 2013 due to lack of drivers (!); it is not yet known if this tramway will operate again in 2014.

Click for excellent historic tram images from Sibiu and Rasinari: Hans Oerlemans
Click for further information about visiting Sibiu





SIBIU: Former Geneva SWP bogie tram 727 at Rasinari terminus, still wearing Geneva livery and with a destination for 'Augustins'! / The same car crossing the Sebes River bridge after leaving Rasinari. / Former Geneva 721 with trailer 315 in the Dumbrava Forest




Bucharest (RATB Bucuresti)

It is not surprising that this is Romania's largest tramway system with over 650 cars and a total track length over 150km. Bucharest was the first city in Romania to operate electric trams, commencing in 1894 with a 5.5km line from Cotroceni to Obor. Most of the current vehicles are locally built V3A articulated cars, refurbished by URAC or Faur in the 1990s, though a number of rather worse for wear second hand vehicles (mainly from Munich) remained in service until recently. Many had to be withdrawn because the poor condition of the track.

Some of the lines in the east of the city are in a particularly bad state of repair, though lines are now being modernised in some parts of the city. More recent deliveries have included a batch of unusual, streamlined V3A-H cars construted by Electroputere Craiova (from 1997) and the new RATB-URAC V2ST 'Bucur' low-floor cars which are being introduced on rebuilt sections of the system, including 32: Alexandria Depot - Piata Unirii, and some of the routes around Gara Basarab. There were also several Tatra T4s but these may have also been withdrawn. Standard livery is white with blue and yeloow bands, though there are several other variations. RATB also have a "heritage" 2-axle tram built on an original chassis and are restoring one of the early V56 vehicles. The network is far reaching with central hubs at Gara Basarab, Piata Presei, Piata Victoriei, and Piata Sfântu Gheorghe.



BUCHAREST: Historic 2-axle 'museum' tram at Piata Rosetti / RATB rebuilt V3A 93 articulated trams 121 & 188 at Victoria Depot / RATB Faur-built V3A 93 type articulated car 304 at Piata Unirii


Please refer to the excellent RATB site for further details and latest news (including a useful interactive map of the system -
"right click" then select "zoom" for greater magnification):
www.ratb.ro
Click for excellent historic tram images taken in Buicharest in the 1970s and 1980sL Hans Oerlemans
Click for further information about visiting Bucharest



BUCHAREST: RATB Electroputere bogie trams of the1950s, rebuilt by ITB during the 1970s, at Victoria Depot / RATB 296, a V3A articulated unit at Gara Basarab looking in a sorry state in the 1990s / RATB 348, an ITB V56 2-axle car in use as a departmental car at Victoria depot





Other Systems: Iasi, Botosani, Braila, Galati, Constanta, Ploiesti, Craiova, Brasov, Resita

The remaining systems in Romania range from the extensive, and historic Iasi system to new tramways constructed in the 1980s such as Constanta and Brasov.

Iasi: The city of Iasi has an extensive (approx. 67km), metre-gauge system and also operates a heritage service using a 1900 AEG 2-axle car (Nr.1) , restored in 1998. Tram Nr.2, an AEG snow-sweeper dating from 1920 has also been preserved. Electric trams commenced operations in 1900. The Romanian-built ITB V2A and Timis T2 trams have been largely withdrawn whilst the Tatra T4s remain in service. These have been supplemented with second-hand vehicles from Halle, Darmstadt, Stuttgart and Augsburg.
Click for excellent historic tram images taken in Iasi in the 1970s and 1980s:
Hans Oerlemans
Another useful link: Iasi Tram Gallery

Botosani: This small city only received its first trams in 1990 connecting the station with the city and a new residential district. 15.8km. The original ITB trams proved so unreliable that the system virtually closed. Most current stock comprises Tatra T4s from Magdeburg and Dresden.

Braila: electric trams have operated in this predominantly industrial city since 1900, with a mixture of urban running and a line running out to a paper factory. The system now covers some 15km. Some of the original ITB, Tatra and Timis cars still remain but most services are operated by ex Nürnberg MAN bogie cars and ex Berlin Tatra KT4s.
Galati: a relatively large standard gauge system (35km) providing connections to steelworks, Port and other factories in this largely industrial city beside the Danube. Electric trams first ran in Galati in 1901 on a metre gauge track which was replaced by standard gauge as the system was modernised and enlarged from 1972 to 1978. Original Tatra T4s have been supplemented by Tatras from Berlin, Dresden and Magdeburg, and Düwag bogie cars from Frankfurt.

Constanta: inaugurated in 1984 with Electroputere Bucharest-type V3A cars to connect the holiday village Sat Vacanta (close to Mamaia), and the north-west industrial zone with thetown centre. It has grown to 42km with over 70 cars, recent deliveries including second-hand Tatra KT4Ds from Berlin, and ex Oradea ITB cars!

Ploiesti: the first line opened in Ploiesti in 1987, connecting Ploiesti-Sud and Ploiesti-Vest railway stations, and using Electroputere V3A cars. The system has subsequently expanded to some 20km and approximately 60 trams. Recent deliveries of Tatra KT4D cars from Potsdam have replaced older Timis T2 and ITB trams.

Craiova: 18.4km system opened in 1987 to connect the Thermocentrala (power station) and Oltcit (now Daewoo) car factory to the city with short-workings to Electroputere. The original fleet comprised Timis 2 trams. Most have been replaced by Tatra T4s from Leipzig and Berlin.

Brasov: The 7km system opened in 1987 with ITB V2 and V3 cars to replace trolleybus service 8 between the industrial zone and the station. The ITB cars were supplanted by ex Leipzig Tatra T4s and ex, Frankfurt Düwag articulated cars but the system closed ia few years ago to make way for the motor car!.

Resita: this small, 9.5km system was opened in 1988 to serve the steelworks and comprises former Dortmund articulated 8-axle Düwag trams which replaced earlier Timis trams.


Note: system length refers to the totals of each section of line, regardless of whether single or double




Further Reading

Tramways of Eastern Europe (Taplin)
Modern Tramways & Light Railways (magazine)
Istoria Cailor Ferate Arad-Podgoria (1863-2000); Radu Bellu; CFR collection of books on Romanian railway history, Nr.2; 2000
Tramclub.org
Useful link:
Romanian Tram Gallery








Cockermouth, Cumbria, United Kingdom CA13 0RA
- Tel. +44 (0)1900 838570; Email. travel@lakelandbeyond.com

www.beyondtheforest.com and www.lakelandbeyond.com are information websites provided and maintained in the United Kingdom by Romantique Couture


Copyright © 2014 BeyondtheForest - the Romania Travel Specialists